Brent Lodge Bird & Wildlife Trust
Wildlife Hospital in Chichester, West Sussex
Brent Lodge Bird & Wildlife Trust is a wildlife hospital based in West Sussex. We are a voluntary organisation that has been treating and rehabilitating injured, sick and orphaned wildlife for over 40 years. We receive over 3,000 patients each year.
We invite you to watch our short informational video above (tap it to play) for more information. Further details about the organisation are also available on our About Us page.
You will probably know that hedgehog numbers in Britain have undergone a rapid decline from over 30 million in the 1950s to under 800,000 in 2012, but here at Brent Lodge Wildlife Hospital we are doing what we can to halt this in West Sussex and East Hampshire.
We treat around 600 sick, injured or orphaned hedgehogs a year and our aim is to put as many breeding pairs as possible back out into the wild.
During the Winter about 95% of our patients at the Hospital are hedgehogs. These are animals that would not otherwise survive through the cold months.
However, this is a time where our funds are at the lowest. We therefore need your support to get us through this period.
- £1 would pay for the cost of washing and disinfecting a hedgehog’s food bowl and cage;
- £5 for flea & worming treatment for a hedgehog;
- £10 for life-saving first aid treatment for a hedgehog;
- £13 for a course of antibiotics for a hedgehog;
- £40 to feed a hedgehog during an average 12 week stay;
- £50 for a tin of specialist milk formula for baby hedgehogs;
- £200 to keep a hedgehog in the Hospital for the whole winter to prevent hibernation (which can be fatal if hedgehogs are underweight or injured);
- £500 to buy an intensive care unit.
Your donation will make a difference and help fight the decline in hedgehog numbers. We are one of the largest hedgehog treatment centres in the country, and need your support to continue this vital work.
You can donate online at www.bmycharity.com/Hedgehogs
Or you can send a cheque or P.O. (payable to “Brent Lodge Bird & Wildlife Trust”) to us at Brent Lodge Wildlife Hospital, Cow Lane, Sidlesham, Chichester, PO20 7LN.
Thank you from all the hedgehogs at Brent Lodge Wildlife Hospital.
“Good morning! Excuse my mucky face and paws… I had been tucking into some breakfast just before this photo was taken!! I love eating meaty cat food and dog food. I am the smallest hoglet at Brent Lodge at the minute, I weigh just 197g. If I keep eating the way I am I will be a big hoggie before you know it! I will need lots more cans of food, and newspapers ready for my bedding when I move out of my incubator!!! Hint hint….”