Brent Lodge Wildlife Hospital is a wildlife welfare charity based in Sidlesham, Chichester. Brent Lodge receives over 3000 wildlife patients each year, to whom we provide care, treatment and rehabilitation. We receive no government funding and all of our income is through donations and support. We are currently looking recruit a part time sales assistant to join our team and work in our Havant branch, helping the charity fulfill it’s aims by ensuring the shop continues to provide the charity with a steady stream of income.
Rate of pay is national minimum wage, and we are currently looking for someone to work two days a week at 8 hours per day, a total of 16 hours per week. The successful candidate will have retail experience and be fully able to provide overtime and holiday cover as and when the manager is away. Further overtime may also be available on an add hock basis at other shops and towards the run up to Christmas, such as an additional day on Sundays if it is felt necessary.
Further benefits are, a full pay review and increases if the shop matches it’s sales targets each April, and many employee perks such as discount on goods.
If you would like to work for a wildlife charity and really make a difference, please email in with your details and C.V addressed to the General Manager.
BRENT LODGE BIRD & WILDLIFE HOSPITAL
Main purpose of job:
To help manage the retail outlet, selling donated goods and New Goods to generate income for the Charity. The Sales Assistant will also be responsible for helping the shop in achieving the sales budget and seeking commercial opportunities to drive incremental sales. Manage and develop their team of volunteers to provide excellent customer service and high standards of shop floor presentation.
Position in Organisation
- Reports to the Shop Manager, but will also take direction from the Animal Care Manager & General Manager
- Line manages volunteers
- Works alongside retail colleagues and across other functions at all levels
- Works with external contacts including customers, donors and contractors
Duties and Key Responsibilities
Responsible and accountable for the shop team:
- To maximize donated income through proactive stock generation, optimum pricing, processing stock to agreed levels and stock planning
- To maximize New Goods income by managing stock levels, efficient re-ordering and effective merchandising. To aid in the completion of stock takes as requested by the General Manager and Trustees of the charity.
- To Aid in achieving gift aid sales conversion target through maximizing new donor sign ups and repeat donations.
- To maintain high levels of shop presentation by merchandising and housekeeping to standards as set by Brent Lodge
- Organising Fundraising events to promote awareness of Brent Lodge and actively support campaigns
- To provide an excellent customer experience and to have a good overall knowledge of stock
- Manage complaints efficiently and effectively
- Offer extra products to customers through, up-selling
People & Development
- To aid the daily management of the shop team,
- To recruit, train and retain a team of shop volunteers
- To identify any training needs volunteering team
- Attend, where appropriate, training courses relevant to the development of the role
- Promote awareness of relevant training courses and development opportunities to others within the team
- Attendance and participation at meetings and responsible for cascading information to team as appropriate
- If requested by the General Manager, assist at other shops on the area to include new shop openings
- To complete all administration to required standards and deadlines
- To manage controllable costs, expenditure and petty cash
- To ensure minimum losses of both stock and cash by following till and banking procedures
- To adhere to all Policies and Procedures including those relating to the Health & Safety of premises and team
- Embracing changes and development of operational procedures across the charity
- Manages stock to minimise loss and maximise income
- Maximises sales through pricing, merchandising and promotions
- Identifies and responds to market trends
- If the Shop Manager is taken sick, or has holiday, it will be expected that the Sales Assistants will provide enough cover to keep the shop trading at all times. This may incur overtime, which will be paid to the role holder.
- Identifies and clarifies individual customer needs
- Treats all customers with courtesy and respect
- A basic understanding of financial accounts e.g. income and expenditure
- Manages inventory and paperwork to ensure business has accurate records and data
- Handles payments by cash, card or cheque responsibly and accurately
- A basic understanding of Profit and Loss accounts sheets
- Delegates effectively to help team increase their skill and level of responsibility
- Clearly communicates roles and responsibilities to team
- Provides performance feedback both positive and developmental
- Planning and organising to achieve results
- Prioritises work to maximise effective use of resources and effort
- Remains focused when faced with competing demands and is able to multi task
- Able to use own initiative and work autonomously
Dimensions and limits of Authority
- Recruit, develop, manage and retain a team of volunteers
- Effectively manage all controllable costs and expenditure
- Can authorise credit card and cash refunds
- Has responsibility for shop petty cash
- Good level of general education
- IT literate and numerate
- Role involves a degree of manual handling in sorting and lifting stock, sometimes heavy
bags/items of stock
In addition to the specific duties and responsibilities outlined in this job profile, all Brent Lodge employees should be aware of their specific responsibilities towards the following:
- To adhere to all health and safety and fire regulations, and to co-operate with the Charity in maintaining good standards of health and safety.
- To uphold ethical and professional standards and not behave in a manner that is likely to bring the Charity into disrepute.
- Promote and sustain a responsible attitude towards equality and diversity within the Charity.
- Demonstrate a commitment to on-going registration requirements or any national professional. or occupational standards associated with the role.
- Demonstrate a commitment to on-going learning and development and to participate in any training relevant to the role.
- Good working knowledge and understanding of Brent Lodge aims and objectives through its core values and behaviors.
- All employees are expected to be competent with the use of technology and information systems, and understand their duties and responsibilities with regard to the appropriate use of personal data including sensitive personal data.
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties and you will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by your changing role within the organisation and the overall business objectives of the organisation. It merely acts as a guide and may be amended to meet the
changing requirements of the charity at any time after discussion with the post holder.
Job Type: Part-time
You have requested that Indeed ask candidates the following questions:
- How many years of Retail Sales experience do you have?